Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Goat Rodeo Sessions LIVE.

from Boston's House of Blues. Broadcast to theaters around the country including Rexburg's very own Paramount 5.

via PCM Reviews

As soon as I saw that they were broadcasting the Goat Rodeo Sessions LIVE the Paramount 5 I knew I wasn't going to get eight hours of sleep on Tuesday night. You may remember my blog post regarding The Goat Rodeo Sessions.

How could I possibly afford to miss this? Well I couldn't. When really good things come to theaters - especially one time only events - one must sacrifice that which is held above all else (sleep) and go to the event!

That is exactly what I did. I took off from my Internship early (I'll have to make it up later) and paid the $10 dollars (I would have paid more) to watch a concert in a theater, alone (I love me).

Not only did I go alone, but there was only one other person in the theater. Obviously she is a kindred spirit. We didn't sit by each other though, I think we both knew that we were each on a date with ourselves.

It goes without saying that the concert was fantastic. The musicians (Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Chris Thile and Edgar Meyer) were unbelievable. They have perfect chemistry. It was easy to see that they really enjoy being around each other and that they loved the music they were playing. All of the music was written by them (except what they played for the encore).

Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer, Yo-Yo Ma and Stuart Duncan via LA Times


Let me tell you about my personal favorites from the concert:

Parallax - The fiddle part on this one when straight to my soul. I don't know why. It was just so beautiful.


Here and Heaven - Aoife O’Donovan joined the guys for this one. She was wearing a beautiful black dress. Her vocals were beautiful. The song has a fantastic tune, it's been one of my favorites since I heard of the Goat Rodeo Sessions.

Franz and the Eagle - I loved this one. I don't know how to explain it. It was just stunning. Edgar Meyer moved to the piano for this one and his part was incredible. Great tune. And the title? A reference to Stuart Duncan (Franz) and Yo-Yo Ma (the Eagle). These are nicknames they've given each other.

Hill Justice - This one felt like a dream to me. I closed my eyes and could see myself on a porch somewhere just day dreaming. It was a fantastic. This one might be my new favorite. It was just so beautiful. Calm, yet exciting. Upbeat, yet serene. Perfection.

A really great concert. For the encores they played some Bach (so beautiful!), a mix of fiddle tunes, and All Through the Night (with Aoife O'Donovan). Couldn't have asked for a better encore. Really. It was wonderful.


At the beginning of the show I noticed that Yo-Yo Ma's hair was slicked back and looked very neat. By the middle of the show his hair was falling on his forehead, showing what an active musician he is. I think that was one of the best things about these musicians; they felt the music, I mean really felt it. You could see it on their faces when they played.

CT, Aoife O'Donovan, YM, EM and SD via Sojourners Indecisive

Totally worth losing sleep over. I would go again tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!