Monday, March 25, 2013

Destination Tokyo (1943)


via Sittin' on a Backyard Fence

 This was my first time viewing Destination Tokyo. I bought a set of Cary Grant films last year and this one was in it. I never watch movies unless I feel like it, so I hadn't watched this one until today.

I loved it. I can't even tell you how much I loved it. It is so well done.

The only complaint I have is the way they talk about the Japanese people, their talk is full of stereotypes and falsehoods. The film was made during World War II and was definitely propaganda.

via All Posters

I'm not sure that I've ever seen a war film that had me on my toes like this one did. Several times I dropped what I was doing to cover my mouth or my eyes. I found my self consciously trying to breath calmly during several scenes. The suspenseful scenes were done very well. The actors were incredible!

via Nitrate Diva

On top of the suspense the film is terribly heartwarming. The characters are so real. They're the guys you went to high school with, your brother, your cousins, and your father. They talk of their families, their sweethearts, their hopes and dreams. They are courageous. They excel because they work as a team and truth each other.

via tumblr
Their captain is obviously what fosters this type of crew. He is a husband and father whose "biggest kick of last year" was being at his son's first hair cut. He is fair and considerate. He encourages his crew and treats them with kindness and respect. He works right along side the men as they take care of important and necessary tasks.

via DBCovers

Has anyone else seen this film? What did you think? I would really love to hear your thoughts!

On another note (one that I cannot ignore) Cary Grant has never been more attractive than he is in this film. (At least to my knowledge, and I've seen a lot of Cary Grant films.)

via Sweet Fancy Moses

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!