Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lauren Bacall at 19 years old in To Have and Have Not (1944)

via The Sleepy Peach


A couple weeks ago I watched 1944's To Have and Have Not, 19 year old Lauren Bacall in her movie debut.  I knew the whole time that she was 19, but I kept forgetting. She just doesn't act or look like any 19 year old I ever saw.

via Dr. Macro
via DamesMercury

Can you imagine playing opposite Humphrey Bogart at 19? Bogart had just starred in Casablanca, a film nominated for eight Oscars. It won three of them, including best picture. I think playing opposite Bogart in your very first picture at 19 years old must have been intimidating, but you'd never know that by watching Bacall. She is fantastic, she plays her role like a mature and seasoned actress.

Here are my favorite scenes in To Have and Have Not (Hoagy Carmichael is the piano player in both scenes, I adore him).




I often complain because people assume I am 19 and not 25 years old (when I tell people that I just graduated I have clarify that it was from a university or they assume it was high school). Next time someone mistakes my age for 19, I will assume they were thinking of 19 year old Lauren Bacall as she dances out of that final scene in To Have and Have Not.

via Fanpop

3 comments:

  1. Now that is the way to be positive about people thinking you are younger. And who wouldn't want to be Lauren Bacall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I looked that amazing at 19. Holy moly. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, one day, you will be happy you look younger. LIke when you look 40 instead of 50.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!