Tuesday, May 22, 2012

American Masters | Harper Lee: Hey, Boo



via All Movie Photo

 You can watch Hey, Boo at PBS,org. More importantly if you haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird (or at least seen the movie) get down to your local library! They will have the book and if they don't have the movie you can request it.

I love To Kill a Mockingbird. It's a beautiful novel and a wonderful movie. In high school every time I had to do a project on a book I chose To Kill a Mockingbird. When I was assigned a project on an author I chose Harper Lee. I couldn't help it. To Kill a Mockingbird spoke to me. I felt connected to every character. Since I first read the book and saw the movie in my early teen years, I've reread and reviewed To Kill a Mockingbird numerous times. It's the book I recommend to people the most. No matter how many times I hear the story I always hurt and cry with the characters.


Hey, Boo is the perfect documentary for anyone who loves To Kill a Mockingbird and wonders about Harper Lee and the context and impact of the novel. This film is a beautiful celebration of Harper Lee and her only novel. Hey, Boo is full historical information regarding the time in which To Kill a Mockingbird was released. It is full of pieces of Harper Lee's life and interviews that she gave before she chose to set away from the limelight. By far the best part about this film is the discussion of To Kill a Mockingbird and it's impact on the lives of those who read it. Hearing people read passages from the book and hearing the emotion in their voice is priceless. It left me feeling connected to people whose names I honestly can't recall.

Watching Hey, Boo left me yearning to read Harper Lee's book and watch the movie again. You should watch it.

Any To Kill a Mockingbird fans out there? How did the book or movie make you feel? Do you have a favorite part?


1 comment:

  1. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books. I could read it again and again. I love how it teaches as to respect everyone no matter their age or skin color.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts!